Sunday, July 3, 2011

Twitter Reflection #1

The twitter I have chosen to reflect on is “Not everything that matters can be measured” from Larry Ferlazzo on July 3. This title caught my eye because I am a big data-head and love things that can be measured. At the same time, I am also a skeptical data-head and believe, “Numbers never lie because you can get them to say anything you want.” So, when I saw that Twitter title, how could I resist?

I’m happy I didn’t. The article, couched in sports references, discusses the danger of relying solely on data to the detriment of “intangibles” that sometimes are greater, or at least equally valid, indicators of potential. As I continue to develop as a teacher, it will be important to keep in mind that there are many kinds of intelligence and that standardized tests (the “what’s measured” of education) are only useful as a portion of a much greater whole.

From a technology standpoint, this thought opens the door for a variety of options. Primarily, it will encourage me to quest for varied tools in the preparation lessons. These tools may be something I learn of on the internet, or they may be Web 2.0 tools for the students to use hands-on (like museum box, myths & legends, or prezi). Either way, the constant reinforcement of the message to expand my teaching horizons is coming in loud and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment